Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Roast

Isn't it funny the way different seasons predetermine distinct meals?
We place specific meals in a specific place in time within our calendar.

Hot Dogs, Cole Slaw, Cold Salads, and Ice cream cones belong in the summer
Casseroles and "Big meat" are reserved for Autumn
Chili and soups keep us warm and packing on excess body fat in the winter
While light grilled chicken salads and fresh fruit bring our bodies back to normalcy in preparation for summer.....

Pot Roast is one of these particular meals for me. Pot Roast makes me think of Christmas dinner at Grandmas, with cooked carrot chunks and noodles with gravy (or naked noodles in my case).
My Grandma, a lovely lady (one of my most favorite people in the world), is without a doubt one of the best Cookers/BAKERS in the universe.

Obviously most of the population would claim the same for their individual grandmothers, but Seriously, my Grandma is the real deal.....

and I've been CRAVING her Pot Roast.

I, on most days, am not a carnivore by any means, so to say I had a strange craving for large slabs of meat (at the brink of Spring) is rare indeed, but alas, it is true and I ventured today to make my very first Pot Roast....

With a little help and guidance from my sweet mother In Law I created a semi masterpiece:

Crockpot Spring Roast:
Place sirloin Tip (large slab of meat) on bottom of crock.
(I removed the nasty strings holding it together)
Add to crock
  • Onion quarters (3/4 of onion)
  • 1 sweet potato skinned and chunked
  • 2 red potatoes skinned and chunked
  • 2 carrots skinned and chunked
  • feel free to add any other veggies of your choosing (i think brussel sprouts would go nicely but I ran out of room in the pot)
  • Pour 1 1/2 cups of waters over contents of pot and cook on high for about 7 hours.
  • sprinkle brown sugar twice during cooking on top of contents (my personal brink of genius)
  • also: salt, pepper, basil, cinnamon
  • about 30 mins before serving, add a last dash of brown sugar and ENJOY!!!
Spring Roast hit the spot, and, although it was not my grandma's tender, perfect pot roast, it did break all of the bonds holding pot roast in the chains of seasonal eating tendencies.

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! Lovely lady you are. I especially like the "waters" ingredient; sounds exotic!

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete