Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Wenesday Leftovers

Leftovers.
The name alone connotates negativity.
abandoned. alone. left. old"er" food.

Leftovers, in my mind, are attributed back even to childhood with distasteful dishes like leftover split pea soup. leftover macaroni and cheese. holiday leftovers....for days.

Not all of these meals were necessarily bad the first time, but if they were really good enough to eat twice on separate occasions, don't you think the term "going back for SECONDS" wouldn't need to exist?
Not only that, but why can't we, as cookers (male or female) learn to make the approximate and needed amount of food the first time for our family so that the dreaded second go around would cease to exist?
I, obviously, am guilty of this. The under consumption of food that I have prepared has left me no choice but to put it out, yet again, for dinner this evening. And at the risk of sounding slightly over dramatic, its shameful.

Leftover night, not only grosses me out, but also makes you feel as a food provider, kind of lazy. Not to mention the fact that my one and only REAL duty in this household is to cook dinner for everyone.

So tonight, I forfeit any built up pride on cooking skills I may have THOUGHT I owned, and I will humbly and unwillingly serve food that has been in our refrigerator for a number of days.

On a separate note:
We (Lawrence and I) made fish, rice, and veggies last night
(with no leftovers to attribute to it.)
Lawrence is the king of grilling pretty much anything and he is adorable in the kitchen.
His fish looks something like this:
  • Rub olive oil into each fillet
Cover in the Following Ingredients (and rub into fillet):
  • lemon pepper
  • onion powder
  • salt and pepper (dashes)
  • garlic powder
  • herbs
  • and he tops it with flakes of spinach.
Grill until lightly brown, eat it up, and pray that everyone else eats ALL of theirs as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment